Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Libertine

Well. I never wrote that Maha review round two did I. But can I say, it was just as good as round one. Nuff said. Particularly when I am writing a blog entitled "Libertine" not Maha

Now, I did something naughty today. Not naughty naughty, but naughty. I took the afternoon off (legally of course), I submitted a leave request form, got it signed, and even put my out of office on. Crickey!

So what did I do on my afternoon off? Well, I waltzed up to Libertine on Victoria Street and had a beautiful lunch. 

Hosted by my friend Sarah, of gourmetdigs.blogspot.com fame and Zoe Ladyman - one of the two owners of Libertine, we had a beautiful three course lunch. Just what the doctor ordered on a lazy Tuesday (!) afternoon. 

The food was beautiful.
 
We started with scallop tartere, a gentle combination of scallops, lemon, a so cute its almost naff potato salad (there was a fancy name, but lets face it, potato salad it was) topped with Salmon cavier. It was very light, very fresh and very subtle. A lovely start to the lunch. 

The highlight was the twice baked souffle - a mound of Roquefort that would melt the soul of any hardnosed cheese critic, this was served with a roasted pear and carmelised walnuts. Devine.

Lunch was the "famous" so said Richard (I think), the flamboyant and passion filled waiter (if he reads this I'm sure he'd laugh) free range duck a la orange. A Libertine mainstay apparently.

We finished off with a beautiful desert, now you'll have to forgive my memory (I wasn't planning on writing anything, so didn't take notes, or steal the menu, out of character I know). Put simply, it was a stunning chocolate mousse, topped with a light and tart sorbet with a beautiful wafer thin thingee on top - you know, the sugar, caramel type thing? Think Desperate Housewives? Anyway, it was stunning.

Each course was matched with a beautiful selection of wines, again, I apologise, notes weren't taken, but if you go there, I'm sure their able staff will be able to help you find the gorgeous wines we had. 

Now, a word on the staff, or more specially, on Zoe. Zoe is a incredibly knowledgeable, passionate woman. This passion is reflected beautifully in her restaurant. Produce is chosen with care, and the wines are hand picked. The place gives the impression that no short cuts are taken. An example for us all.

Au revoir. 

No comments:

Post a Comment