Friday, March 20, 2009

Horse Dorves

My darling brother married his beautiful wife a couple of weeks ago. I was entrusted with the most handsome of tasks, the Horse Dorves (Hor' dorves). Now, normally this would be a daunting task - 200 hungry quests, stress, upper lip sweat and a few choice swear words. Not this wedding. My Bro and his betrothed only had 8 guests (including me). Easy peasy. So, due to the large (read two, but when there's only 8, that's a fair percentage) of vegetarians, I opted for stuffed button mushrooms and cherry tomato (off the plant) and feta tarts with a Parmesan homemade pastry. 

Wanna hear how I did it?

The mushrooms were simple - I blended together breadcrumbs, Parmesan, lemon rind, salt & pepper and a variety of herbs (I was also going to use pine nuts but my father forgot to buy them!) and then stuffed the mushrooms with the mixture (obviously removing the stalk first).

Roast till they look scrumptious (about ten minutes) and they're done. Obviously I had to try one first, just to be sure of course (notwithstanding I'd already made them all - what was I going to do if they weren't okay?).

The tomato tarts weren't so simple... first I had to pluck those ripe little bosoms off the tree, together with a few fresh basil leaves of course.

Then I had to make the pastry - I couldn't find a recipe book so I made it up - a cup or so of flour, two or three free range egg yolks, salt, cold butter (add a little and then work in more if you need too) and some grated parmesan (maybe halfa cup?)

First mix the butter together with the flour - cheats can use a blender but I use my fingers. Messy and gratifying. Then mix in the egg yolks and the Parmesan. Then I need it altogether for quite some time.

Once its looking good - not too crumbly, lovely orange/yellow colour (those yolks) and the Parmesan is evenly distributed - I wrap in glad wrap and pop in the fridge to chill while I make the pesto.

The pesto is a bunch of fresh basil from the garden, roasted pine nuts, Parmesan, garlic, lemon juice and oil. Blend together, then add salt and pepper and you're done - I think what ever consistency you want is fine - likewise for the quantities of basil and pine nuts etc - mix it up, play and see what you prefer.

Then roll out the pastry and cut in rounds - either with a cookie cutter or a sharp knife and press into muffin trays.

I blind baked the pastry for ten minutes - not using baking paper or rice, just by itself - they're just babies!

Once blind baked, put a dollop of pesto in each, layer a couple of sliced cherry tomatoes and a piece of feat and bake in the oven for another 10- 15 mins. 

To serve, place a basil leave on top as a garnish.

Voila!


No comments:

Post a Comment